“As challenging as it must have been to write and finesse the adoption of the Common Core State Standards, that accomplishment is nothing compared to the work of teaching in ways that bring all students to these ambitious expectations. The goal is clear. The pathway is not.”
—Lucy Calkins, Mary Ehrenworth, and Christopher Lehman
The Common Core is written, but the plan for implementing the Common Core is not.
Lucy Calkins and her colleagues at the Reading and Writing Project have helped thousands of educators design their own pathways to the Common Core. Now, with Pathways to the Common Core, they are ready to help you find your way.
Designed for teachers, school leaders, and professional learning communities looking to navigate the gap between their current literacy practices and the ideals of the Common Core, Pathways to the Common Core will help you:
- understand what the standards say, suggest, and what they don’t say;
- recognize the guiding principles that underpin the reading and writing standards;
- identify how the Common Core’s infrastructure supports a spiraling K–12 literacy curriculum; and
- scrutinize the context in which the CCSS were written and are being unrolled.
In addition to offering an analytical study of the standards, this guide will also help you and your colleagues implement the standards in ways that lift the level of teaching and learning throughout your school. Specifically, it will help you:
- become a more critical consumer of the “standards-based” mandates that are flooding your desk;
- craft instruction that supports students in reading more complex texts, developing higher level comprehension skills, and writing at the ambitious levels of the CCSS;
- develop performance assessments and other tools to propel Common Core reforms; and
- create systems of continuous improvement that are transparent, collegial, and accountable.
Above all, this book will help you interpret the Common Core as a rallying cry that ignites deep, wide and lasting reforms and, most importantly, accelerates student achievement.