O'Connell provides a practical guide to teaching math for understanding and clarity, only this time moving one step further to provide a complete picture of elementary math instruction. She presents advice and insight about:
- what a teacher's role is during math time
- how to actively engage your students in mathematical thinking, and how to know when they are connecting with math concepts or may require further support
- how to teach both computational skills and mathematical thinking skills
- how to use problem solving, cooperative projects, writing assignments, and real-life examples to stimulate and maintain interest
- how to incorporate math talk and vocabulary into your lessons.
But Now I Get It is much more than a book of teaching ideas. Aligned to the NCTM standards and filled with smart ideas about helping students reach mandated testing benchmarks, it also offers all the research and theory you need to provide best-practice instruction. Also included are reflection questions to stimulate professional growth and an accompanying CD that bolsters your teaching with more than one hundred pages of reproducible lists, charts, activities, and rubrics, some of which can be modified to fit your specific classroom needs.
Help children make mathematics an integral part of how they live in and appreciate their world. Read Now I Get It, and find new ways to make your math instruction more effective and more exciting for yourself and your students.