There has never been a more comprehensive resource available to teachers that does what the continuum does - provide specific behaviors and understandings that are required at each level for students to demonstrate thinking within, beyond, and about the text. These behaviors and understandings describe what students will be expected to do in order to effectively read and understand the text.
More in-depth, more intuitive, and more essential than ever—The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum, Second Edition is the essential tool to guide your assessment, activate responsive teaching, and support your students on their language and literacy journey.
The Literacy Continuum provides a way to look for specific evidence of learning from prekindergarten through grade eight, and across eight instructional contexts. Each instructional context contributes substantially, in different but complementary ways, to students’ development of the literacy process. With this indispensable literacy tool, Fountas and Pinnell remind you of The Literacy Continuum’s critical role in transforming literacy teaching and learning.
Enhance your teaching with The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum, Second Edition:
- elevate your language and literacy expertise
- develop an understanding of the demands of texts on readers
- build your understanding of the reading and writing process and how it changes over time
- hone your observation of students’ literacy behaviors
- teach toward student integration of the Systems of Strategic Actions
- articulate the literacy curriculum within and across grade levels
- activate the responsive teaching that meets students where they are and brings them forward with intention and precision
- build professional learning opportunities with colleagues
- create a common vision and common language for literacy in your school.
Look for these enhancements inside:
- Updated Digital Communication continuum for the modern classroom
- Expanded PreK continuum to reflect today's early readers
- Streamlined organization and navigation
- Expanded behaviors and examples across the continua
- First appearance of a behavior or goal or text characteristic is indicated by a red bullet
- Clear organization of and explicit links to the System of Strategic Actions