Table of Contents
Part 1: Background and Research
Chapter 1: Shaping Young Minds: Why We Care About Spatial Reasoning in the Early Years
- What Is Spatial Reasoning?
- Why Math in the Early Years Is So Important
- Why Teach Spatial Reasoning?
Chapter 2: What Makes This Book Different From Other Geometry resources?
- 1. An Expanded Vision of Geometry
- 2. A Deep Focus on Five Particular Aspects of Geometry
- 3. An Emphasis on Playful Pedagogy
- 4. A Research Focus: Tested Educational Benefits
Chapter 3: A Review of Spatial Reasoning Concepts and Processes
- 1. Visualization
- 2. Mental Rotation
- 3. Visual-Spatial Working Memory
- 4. Information Processing
- 5. Spatial Language
- 6. Gestures
Chapter 4: How to Use This Book
- Implementation Suggestions
- How Is the Book Organized?
- Where to Begin?
- What Next?
- Classroom Organization
- Observing Student Thinking: Junior Kindergarten to Grade 2
- Assessment Suggestions
Part 2: Activities
Section A: Symmetry
- Lesson 1: Let’s Learn About Symmetry
- Lesson 2: Pattern Block Symmetry Puzzles
- Lesson 3: Pentomino Symmetry Games
- Lesson 4: Symmetry on Grids—Integrating Location and Number
- Lesson 5: Grid Symmetry Game
- Lesson 6: Hole-Punch Symmetry Challenge
- Lesson 7: Symmetry Card Games
Section B: Composing, Decomposing, and Transforming Two-Dimensional Shapes
- Lesson 1: Find the Magic (Pentomino) Keys
- Lesson 2: See It, Build It, Check It—Pattern Blocks
- Lesson 3: The Hexagon Card Game
- Lesson 4: Can You Draw This?
- Lesson 5: Can You Cover It?
- Lesson 6: The Square Mover
- Lesson 7: The Shape Transformer
Section C: Composing, Decomposing, and Transforming Three-Dimensional Objects
- Lesson 1: The Cube Challenge—Discovering Three-Dimensional Congruence
- Lesson 2: Build It in Your Mind
- Lesson 3: Box or Not?
- Lesson 4: See It, Build It, Check It—Interlocking Cubes
- Lesson 5: Building Rules!
Section D: Locating, Orienting, Mapping, and Coding
- A Focus on Coding
- Lesson 1: Introductory Barrier Game
- Lesson 2: Secret Shape Code
- Lesson 3: What Did You Make?
- Lesson 4: Pathway Moves
- Lesson 5: Paper Pathways
- Lesson 6: Secret Code Game
- Lesson 7: Pathway Coding Game
Section E: Perspective Taking
- Lesson 1: Mother Bird Finds a Sculpture
- Lesson 2: Shoebox Goggles
- Lesson 3: Build It, Photograph It, Make It
- Lesson 4: Crazy Creatures
- Lesson 5: What Do You See?
- Lesson 6: Secret LEGO® Buildings
- One-to-One Interview Tasks and Observation Guides
- Index of Lessons by Grade Level
- Index of Lessons by Math and Spatial Reasoning Focus