At the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project, we have been working for three decades to develop, pilot, revise, and implement state-of-the art curriculum in writing. We have had a chance to do this work under the influence of Common Core for the past few years, and this series—this treasure chest of experiences, theories, techniques, tried-and-true methods, and questions—will bring the results of that work to you.
Built on the best practices and proven frameworks developed over decades of work in thousands of classrooms across the country and around the world, the Units of Study for Teaching Writing, K–8, offer grade-by-grade plans for teaching state-of-the-art writing workshops that help students meet and exceed rigorous global standards.
The Units of Study in Opinion/Argument, Information, and Narrative Writing, K–8 will:
- help you teach opinion/argument, information, and narrative writing with increasing complexity and sophistication
- unpack standards as you guide students to attain and exceed those expectations
- foster high-level thinking, including regular chances to synthesize, analyze, and critique
- develop and refine strategies for writing across the curriculum
- support greater independence and fluency through intensive writing opportunities
- include strategic performance assessments to help monitor mastery and differentiate instruction
- provide a ladder of exemplar texts that model writing progressions across grade levels, K–8
- give teachers opportunities to teach and to learn teaching while receiving strong scaffolding and on-the-job guidance.
- Four Units of Study per grade level, K–5, and three Units of Study per grade level, 6–8: Include all the teaching points, minilessons, conferences, and small group work for a comprehensive workshop curriculum.
- A Guide to the Common Core Writing Workshop: Describes the essential principals, methods, and structures of effective writing workshop instruction. (Now available for separate purchase: Ideal for principals, curriculum coordinators, coaches, and other who are supporting teachers as they implement Units of Study.)
- If...Then...Curriculum: Assessment-Based Instruction, Grades K–5 and 6–8: Contains additional units to support and extend instruction and to prepare students for work in the main units as needed.
- Writing Pathways: Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions, Grades K–5 and 6–8: A powerful assessment system offering learning progressions, performance assessments, student checklists, rubrics, and leveled writing exemplars. (Also available in a K–8 edition for separate purchase: Ideal for principals, curriculum coordinators, coaches, and other who are supporting teachers as they implement Units of Study.)
- Large-Format Anchor Chart Post-it® notes for grades K–5
- Online Resources for Teaching Writing: offers downloadable, printable files for the anchor charts, figures, student exemplars, homework assignments, and checklists in every session as well as digital files for resources provided in Writing Pathways, including Writing Progressions, On-Demand Writing Prompts, Rubrics, and Student Writing Samples.
- Online Spanish translations of student resources including writing samples to use with Writing Pathways, student checklists, Anchor Chart Sticky Notes, and numerous other classroom materials such as daily charts, folders, and parent letters. Also included are lists of Spanish-language mentor texts.
- Online Video Orientations
- Units of Study Trade Book Packs (grades K–5 only; recommended optional purchase): Used to model effective writing techniques, encourage students to read as writers, and provide background knowledge.