Table of Contents
- Types of Revolutions
- Wheels of Change in the Modern Age
- Using the Elements of Critical Thinking
UNIT 1: Colonialism and Conflict
UNIT QUESTION: How did early European colonization influence the development of Canada?
Chapter 1: Contact, Conflict, and Cooperation
CHAPTER FOCUS QUESTION: What resulted from European interest in North America?
- Who were the First Nations of eastern North America?
- Why did Europeans first travel to North America?
- What resulted from Champlain’s efforts to start a colony?
- How did France expand its control in North America?
- How did a new identity develop in New France?
- Zoom In Life on a Seigneury
- Building Your Skills Analyzing Satellite Images
- Looking Back… Contact, Conflict, and Cooperation
Chapter 2: The Struggle for a Continent
CHAPTER FOCUS QUESTION: How did imperialism shape North America?
- How does place shape a people’s identity?
- How did the Hudson’s Bay Company expand the fur trade?
- Zoom In Let’s Make a Deal
- How did the North West Company expand the fur trade?
- Building Your Skills Assessing the Role of Geography in Trade?
- How extensive was the impact of the fur trade?
- Revolutions Natural Resource Industries
- How did the fur trade open western Canada to change?
- Looking Back… The Fur Trade North and West
- Unit 1 Activity
UNIT 2: Democracy and the Modern World
UNIT QUESTION: How did the revolutions in England, America, and France lead to modern democracy?
Chapter 4: The Fight for Democracy and the English Civil War
CHAPTER FOCUS QUESTION: What basic democratic rights were won as a result of the Civil War in England?
- How did a changing relationship with Britain lead the Thirteen Colonies to revolution?
- What were the causes of dissatisfaction in the colonies?
- Building Your Skills Using a Historical Pamphlet as a Primary Source
- How did revolution lead the colonies toward independence?
- Zoom In Branding the Revolution
- How did the American Revolution change British North America?
- Looking Back… The American Revolution and British North America
Chapter 6: Revolution in France
CHAPTER FOCUS QUESTION: How did the French Revolution contribute to modern ideas of democracy?
- How did agricultural change set the stage for the Industrial Revolution?
- How did work and technology change during the Industrial Revolution?
- Zoom In Fabric Goes High-Tech
- How did the Industrial Revolution affect British society?
- How did British society respond to the Industrial Revolution?
- Revolutions Worker Protests
- Building Your Skills Taking Action Co-operatively
- Looking Back…The Industrial Revolution
Chapter 8: The Napoleonic Era
CHAPTER FOCUS QUESTION: What is the legacy of the Napoleonic era?
- What was life like in Upper Canada before 1812?
- What factors contributed to the War of 1812?
- What were the key events and people in the War of 1812?
- Zoom In American Reminders of the War
- What were the key outcomes of the War of 1812 for Canada?
- Revolutions The War of 1812: Yesterday and Today
- Looking Back… Canada and the War of 1812
- Unit 3 Activity