Features and Benefits
A strong emphasis on problem solving
- Color-coded Guide to Problem Solving (GPS) are provided for each problem type in the text, directing students through the steps and strategy for each kind of problem they will encounter.
- Study Check questions within each sample problem help students review problem-solving strategy and their comprehension of the material.
- Paired Problem Sets encourage students to review the information in each chapter before moving on to new material.
- Analyze the Problem Features are included in most sample problems and help show students how to break down word problems into components, enhancing their critical thinking skills.
- Combining Ideas Problems integrate ideas from the previous two chapters, encouraging students to gain a cumulative understanding of basic chemistry.
- Answers to study check and odd-numbered problems allow students to reference their work and monitor their understanding of chapter topics.
Writing that actively connects crucial concepts to the real world
- Chapter openers feature doctors, pharmacists, biochemists, and more to help students relate the subject to its many career paths.
- Special Interest Boxes relate key chemistry topics to real world health and environmental issues of interest.
Visually engaging pedagogy guides students through core concepts
- Learning Goals introduce each chapter, clearly identifying key concepts and providing a guideline for studying. Each learning goal is repeated in the chapter review, ensuring students identify what they have learned with the chapter’s most important topics.
- Looking Ahead Outlines clearly state the topics in each chapter, giving students a tangible guideline to what they will be learning.
- Concept Checks appear in each chapter to encourage students to revisit their understanding of key terms and ideas before moving forward.
- Chapter review, key terms, additional problems, and summary of reactions provide comprehensive end-of-chapter review that allow students to reinforce their retention of key topics.
Micro-Macro-Symbolic Artwork offers students a visual reference to chemical phenomena on the atomic level. Accompanying questions help students focus on these illustrated concepts.
Personalize Learning with MasteringChemistry™
MasteringChemistry from Pearson is the leading online homework, tutorial, and assessment system, designed to improve results by engaging students before, during, and after class with powerful content. Instructors ensure students arrive ready to learn by assigning educationally effective content before class, and encourage critical thinking and retention with in-class resources such as Learning Catalytics™. Students can further master concepts after class through traditional and adaptive homework assignments that provide hints and answer-specific feedback. The Mastering gradebook records scores for all automatically graded assignments in one place, while diagnostic tools give instructors access to rich data to assess student understanding and misconceptions.
Mastering brings learning full circle by continuously adapting to each student and making learning more personal than ever–before, during, and after class.
Learn more about MasteringChemistry in the Digital Solutions section.