Access to Second Language Acquisition
"It is our hope that the third edition of Between Worlds gives those involved with English language learners access to current research and language-learning theories as well as effective classroom practice."
mdash;David and Yvonne Freeman
In this third edition of Between Worlds: Access to Second Language Acquisition, David and Yvonne Freeman have included many of the classroom examples and teacher stories that readers of earlier editions have found invaluable for understanding key concepts for teaching English language learners. They have updated the book and added important features:
- A comprehensible overview of how people learn as well as how they learn language
- An introduction to theories of both first and second language acquisition
- A new, expanded discussion of bilingualism and bilingual education
- An explanation of how to teach academic language at different levels and appropriately assess students' academic language proficiency
- Reading essentials for ELLs including ways to use culturally relevant bilingual books
- Case studies of different types of English language learners
- Influences that affect how teachers teach
Throughout the book, the Freemans focus on factors both in and outside of school that have an impact on teachers and students. They show how teachers can take an intercultural orientation and lead ELLs to academic success. This book is designed to provide preservice and inservice teachers, administrators, and staff developers with the latest research and best practices for working with English language learners.