“This book is a place to start creating the classroom of your dreams from the very first minute of school, a classroom that is research based, child centered, and in step with the world today.”
— Christine Hertz and Kristine Mraz
The classroom of your dreams starts with one big idea. From the first days of school to the last, Kids First from Day One shares teaching that puts your deepest teaching belief into action: that children are the most important people in the room.
Christine Hertz and Kristi Mraz show how to take that single, heartfelt value and create a cohesive, highly effective approach to teaching that addresses today’s connected, collaborative world. With infectious enthusiasm, hard-won experience, and a generous dose of humor, Kids First from Day One shows exactly how Christine and Kristi build and maintain a positive, cooperative, responsive classroom where students engage deeply with their learning and one another.
Kids First from Day One strengthens and deepens the connections between your love of working with kids, your desire to impact their lives, and your teaching practice. It shares:
- plans for designing beautiful classroom spaces that burst with the fun of learning
- positive language and classroom routines that reduce disruptive behavior—without rewards and consequences
- suggestions for matching students’ needs to high-impact teaching structures
- a treasury of the Christine and Kristi’s favorite “teacher stuff” such as quick guides for challenging behavior, small-group planning grids, and parent letters
- links to videos that model the moves of Christine’s and Kristi’s own teaching.
Just starting out and want to know what really works in classrooms? Curious about how to make your room hum with learning? Or always on the lookout for amazing teaching ideas? Read Kids First from Day One. You’ll discover that the classroom of your dreams is well within your reach.