Talk Moves: A Teacher's Guide for Using Classroom Discussions in Math offers an award-winning, unparalleled look at the significant role that classroom discussions can play in teaching mathematics and deepening students' mathematical understanding and learning. Based on a four-year research project funded by the U.S. Department of Education, this resource is divided into three sections:
- Section I: Getting Started: Mathematics Learning with Classroom Discussions
- Section II: The Mathematics: What Do We Talk About?
- Section III: Implementing Classroom Discussions
This multimedia third edition continues to emphasize the talk moves and tools that teachers can use to facilitate whole-class discussions that deepen students’ mathematical understanding.
New to This Edition
- 46 video clips from every grade, kindergarten through sixth, show students and teachers engaged in successful classroom discussions. Some video clips are new to Talk Moves; others are all-time favorites selected from Classroom Discussions in math: A Facilitator's Guide to Support Professional Learning of Classroom Discussions in Math
- support for teaching with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics
- Try It Out! sections offer specific mathematics problems, questions, and more than twenty lesson plans ready for immediate use in the classroom (lessons can be downloaded from mathsolutions.com/classroomdiscussionsreproducibles)
- Math Talk Tips highlight strategies for using specific talk moves, tools, and formats to develop students' mathematical learning
The accompanying DVD organizes forty-six video clips by chapter and by grade level for viewing convenience. The clips range from one to nine minutes in length with a total viewing time of approximately two hours and twenty-six minutes.
This resource also includes end-of-chapter discussion questions and discussion questions for each video clip.