The bestselling first edition of Children’s Mathematics helped hundreds of thousands of teachers understand children’s intuitive mathematical thinking and use that knowledge to help children learn mathematics with understanding. The highly anticipated Second Edition provides new insights about Cognitively Guided Instruction based on the authors’ research and experience in CGI classrooms over the last 15 years. Highlights include:
- how children solve problems using their intuitive understanding of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- the development of children’s mathematical thinking throughout the primary grades
- instructional practices that promote children’s active engagement in mathematics
- connections between children’s strategies and powerful mathematical concepts
- A new expanded collection of over 90 online video episodes illustrating children’s mathematical thinking, interactions between students and teachers, and classroom instruction that builds on children’s mathematical thinking.
Together, the Second Edition and videos provide a detailed research-based account of the development of children’s mathematical thinking and problem solving, and how teachers can promote this development in ways that honor children’s thinking.