What do Arnold Schwarzenegger and Barack Obama have in common? When it comes to helping students become savvy about genre, rhetoric, and language: everything. In Strange Bedfellows Carol Rawlings Miller pairs short pieces by famous writers and speakers for side-by-side discussion and frames these pairs in lessons that help students meet a variety of curricular goals.
Your students will study the traits of effective writing and persuasion. They’ll also sharpen their critical-reading skills through exposure to a variety of texts and authors:
- Martin Luther King, Jr., and William Shakespeare
- Barack Obama and Arnold Schwarzenegger
- George W. Bush and Susan Sontag
- Jonathan Swift and Leonard Lewin
- Joseph Mitchell and Orhan Pamuk.